If you don’t like the new Windows 8 Ribbon UI (Explorer) and Metro UI then there are two little applications that help you to solve the problem. Best of all, they are both free & portable!
1. Menu Controller (266kb)
– Download it here: http://winaero.com/download.php?view.15
– Run MetroController.exe to start
– There are 3 options:
+ Disable all new features: this will disable all the new features of Windows 8 such as: Metro UI, Ribbon UI (Explorer), etc … You need to logoff for the changes to take effect
+ Disable only Metro features: this will disable only the Metro UI but keep the Ribbon UI in Explorer. You need to restart the computer
+ Close this window: Well, close the application!
– To restore back, you need to run the application again and choose:
+ Enable all new features
+ Enable only Metro features
2. Windows 8 Start Menu Toggle (15kb)
– Very simple to use, click on the “Use classic start menu” to use classic start menu & explorer like you do in Windows 7. You do not need to log off or restart the computer
– To restore back, run it again and click “Use Metro start screen”